We dream of a European YMCA Movement
- inspired by its Christian ecumenical mission
- moved by an open and creative spirit, and actively involving young people
- playing an active and prophetic role in today's global and local realities
- uniting each other to realise the YMCA mission in the diversity of national contexts which is
- challenging and relevant for young people both a sign of God's Reign and Love on earth.
YMCA Europe is a working fellowship to strengthen movements where people grow in body, mind and spirit.
Guiding principles of the YMCA Europe
In working towards the fulfilment of this Mission, the YMCA Europe will
- Affirm that the Paris Basis, the Kampala Principles and Challenge 21 are the ongoing foundation statements of the mission of the YMCA
- Emphasise the Christian identity and mission of the YMCA as an ecumenical lay movement, working independent of, but in co-operation with the Churches and respecting confessional differences.
- Constantly analyse what our Christian identity and mission means in today's European and global realities and translate it into action in these contexts.
- Will recognize and endorse the pre-eminence of volunteers in the governance of the movement at every level
- Ensure the active participation of young people at every level
- Aim towards gender balanced representation.
- Emphasise the YMCA's wholeness concept of body, mind and spirit in community.
- Promote and work for sustainable development to strive for justice, peace and integrity of creation.
- Emphasise international thinking and solidarity within Europe and worldwide.
- Respect and support the multicultural nature of Europe and the European YMCAs.
- Respect the independence and self-determination of each National Movement, as well as its specific way of expressing the YMCA's mission in the given cultural, religious and socio-economic context.
- Strive for unity among the European YMCA family, including fostering processes of mutual learning, exchange and mutual critical reflection about positions in the spirit of "Begleitung".
- Be an inspiring, needs-orientated and effective organisation of high quality, applying the principles of subsidiarity and "Begleitung", and using innovative, participatory and process orientated methods.